Wednesday, February 8, 2012

Challengers ASSEMBLE ! - Week 5 - Image Comics

Last week's sketch blog theme was Image Comics. There's obviously quite a bit of material to choose from in Image's 20 year history, but it was an easy choice for me.

THE NIGHTLY NEWS by Jonathan Hickman is my all-time favorite series from Image. I first read this book about a year ago, and I've probably read it 5 times since. It's honestly like nothing I've ever read. Hickman is really a comic making genius, telling a great story with a phenomenal sense of design that is truly unique. I've since read all of his other Image work, including PAX ROMANA, A RED MASS FOR MARS, TRANSHUMAN, and THE RED WING, and I can honestly tell you that Hickman is now my favorite writer currently working in comics.

Reading these books over the last year or so has really changed the way I look at making comics. To me they show that you don't have to follow the "rules" to make an incredible piece of work, and they've opened my eyes to a lot of different things process & storytelling wise.

Ok, I'm done ranting now. Make sure you buy this book, and if you can, pick up the new oversized hardcover edition. It's definitely worth it. And please, head on over to Challengers ASSEMBLE! and check out all the amazing art there !

Thanks for reading !


THE NIGHTLY NEWS
8.5 x11 Copic Multiliner & Copic Sketch Marker on Strathmore smooth bristol

No comments:

Post a Comment