Thursday, September 22, 2011

TONIGHT WE DINE IN HELL !!!!!!!






300 was on TV last night so I decided to watch it for probably the 50th time. It's one of those things where if it's on, I feel obligated to watch it and then I can't turn it off. Ironically my wife Liz and I were just talking about the movie the night before, so it felt like kind of an omen. It's one of my all-time favorite movies. 300 is probably the most visually stunning film I've ever seen ! Obviously the action and fight scenes are legendary, but it's the look and feel of the whole thing that really gets to me. The colors, backgrounds and landscapes are just so perfect. I was so glad to see that they took so much influence from the look of Frank Miller's tremendous comic book.

Anyway, I decided to do a piece featuring Gerard Butler as the great Spartan King, Leonidas. In my opinion, he's one of the most bad-ass and perfectly cast characters in movie history. I referenced a screenshot from the movie I found online. I wanted to make it look realistic and recognizable, but also stay true to my "style". Not too much detail, and using lots of big black areas to form the image. I think I accomplished that pretty well here. I might do a few more movie characters down the line, because I really enjoyed doing this !

Thanks for reading !

King Leonidas, 9x12  Pentel Brush Pen & Copic Multiliners on Bristol

No comments:

Post a Comment